Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Day 9: My Left Foot


As I'm sitting in my recliner writing this, I'm in a lot more positive frame of mind than I was a couple hours ago. Most of the pain is gone thanks to some post-run stretching and the use of my wife's Happy Company foot roller. This thing is awesome.

It's a good thing, because I was ready to scrap this whole thing today. As I've said in previous entries, I have a severe fallen arch on my left foot (Picture makes sense now. Get it?) and went to Fleet Feet for new insoles and shoes. The Brooks Beasts that I bought definitely helped, but the pain is still pretty intense while I'm running.

The discomfort usually starts since a couple minutes in, but around the halfway point, it either begins to pass or I'm just more successful at ignoring it. Using the 1-9 running clock is definitely helping, but that's for only three miles. I'm planning on a 6-4 running clock for the half-marathon and that's 13.1 miles. Thankfully, the Foot Roller was a tremendous help and did the job after about five minutes of use.

As for the run/walk itself, once again, I didn't stop, but I had to use the gym instead of going outside today due to the weather. Yes, I'm a pansy, piss off. And it doesn't look like I'll be outside anytime soon as temps near the Mudd Compound will be sub-freezing for the next week or so and we're expecting 6" of snow in the next 24 hours.

In addition to not getting the fresh air and road work I need for training by going to the gym, my SmartRunner.com app on my find can't find a GPS signal, so I can't record my run. Yeah, yeah, waaahhh, waaahhh. Roger Bannister didn't use that stuff, so I guess I don't either (look him up). The other problem is, I don't know how long I ran. I did 40 minutes, which should have taken me past the three-mile mark, but I still don't feel good about it because I've only been able to do one day of road work since I've started.

I'm also looking at the weight loss side of the training. Obviously, being as big as I am isn't helping the training at all, so it's imperative that I lose some weight. My goal is to drop 50 lbs. by Race Day (March 26). It's a pretty aggressive goal, but I think it's realistic. So if any of you have any diet tips, I'll be more than happy to listen.

I'm done. I'll probably talk to you tomorrow. Ta.

No comments:

Post a Comment