Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Day 1: Kill Me. Kill Me Now


See that picture? That's what St. Louis looks like today. 14 degrees, wind chill of 0. And that is where I started my ill-advised adventure to compete in a half-marathon on March 26, only 74 days from now.

What the hell am I thinking?

I'm in awful shape. I'm at least three biscuits on the wrong side of "Holy sh*t, look at that guy!" I just started doing Kinect workouts last week and have callouses on my back from my recliner. This is a terrible idea, but since I already paid 50 bones for the entry (in the belief that my cheapness will win over my laziness since the fee is non-refundable), I figure I have to do it. Besides, it's not like I plan on winning the damned thing, just finishing.

So how did Day 1 go? Badly.

As I said, there is no temperature outside. It's zero degrees. It's windy. The snow at the high school's track is drifting and that's where my dumb ass decided to start this odyssey of futility. I was able to run/walk (mostly walk) a half mile in the 10-minute span that I allotted myself based on a guide called "How to Turn From Couch Potato to Distance Runner."

The run itself was miserable. It was cold, for some reason I was wearing ankle socks, I was sucking air like a fish out of water, and the ankle I sprained a couple months ago still hurts.

But the interesting thing about running is how amazing you feel afterwards. I ran cross country in high school (varsity letter, thankyouverymuch) and to say I was the best at it would be akin to saying Andy Dick is a cat who really has his sh*t together. But I ran enough to know that the running itself tended to suck. There were times when it was fun because I was in shape, but the "runner's high" came after. I would have tremendous energy and a sense of accomplishment for whatever distance I ran, knowing that not everyone could do that.

So I'll run and work out tomorrow. And the next day. And the next day. Because I'm going to do this, dammit. I'm a fat tub of goo who needs to get healthy and actually see something to completion. So I'll see you tomorrow. I hope.

3 comments:

  1. Even after years, the running itself still usually sucks. But we keep doing it for all the other reasons you mentioned: the high afterward, the weight loss, the constant improvement over what we did yesterday, last month, last year. If you stick with it, you will get healthier, physically, mentally and emotionally. I'm supportive of that. Go Brandon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed your blog and Good for YOU! Keep at it Brandon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you all for the kind words. The encouragement is awesome and I'm looking forward to achieving this milestone in my life.

    ReplyDelete