Friday, January 14, 2011

Day 4: ...And Miles to Go Before I Sleep...


(Left: Me 10 days before I went to Navy bootcamp in May 1991. I had to gain seven pounds because, at 125 lbs., I was underweight. Right: Nearly 20 years later, I'm nearly TWO HUNDRED pounds heavier. Yeah. Tell me about it.)

Took yesterday off. My body thanked me. Picked it back up today. My body informed me that I suck.

I actually did five minutes without stopping today. For most people, that's no big deal. For me, it was a pretty big accomplishment. Did a brutal (for me) Kinect workout this morning and then did my run. I feel good. The cardio is starting to kick on, I'm not as sore, and I'm not praying for death four or five times per run.

The sidewalks are starting to clear off from all the snow so I can start doing some roadwork which is good; I hate running at that little track at the gym. Today was a half-day for area schools, so all the high school kids got to see me lumbering my fat ass around the track while they were playing hoops and working out. There was also a senior citizen outing there and most of them were able to lap me whilst walking fast. No lie. If I truly needed a sign of how bad off I am physically, that was it.

Which brings me to this: Don't let this happen to you. Seriously. I've basically done nothing as far as anything physical for the last ten years and my body and health have shut down. I'm fat. I'm diabetic. And not the Type 1 "Oh, that's so sad and they're so brave" diabetes. I have the Type 2 "Put the fork down, fat ass" diabetes. I'm on seven types of medication that I have to take daily. I have sleep apnea and get to sleep with a C-PAP machine every night so I don't choke to death and die overnight. I'm a complete wreck because I was too lazy to do anything about it.

Just cut a little out of your diet, eat some fruit and veggies, and move a little. It doesn't take much. I've learned that I like broccoli, asparagus, oranges, grapes, and other healthy foods. Cut down on the soda. Crystal Light is AWESOME. It's Kool-Aid without sugar! How can you possible go wrong with that? You can't folks, you just can't.

Alright, I'm done for the day. May not be back until Monday. Tomorrow's going to be a long day and there's football Sunday. I'll still be running and working out, I just won't be blogging about it. If something interesting happens, I'll let you know.

TTFN.

2 comments:

  1. As an alternative to Crystal Light (and add a bit of variety) try the Arizona Ice Tea packets with Splenda. CL is good and AZIT keeps you from burning out on CL. Red Okie in Calfornia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, Brandon & I hope you are successful with your goals!!!

    ReplyDelete